Tuesday, January 6, 2015
Quick and Healthy Tropical Green Smoothie
It's a week into January, and it seems that if one considers him or herself to be a blogger, one must use this week to post at least one healthy recipe. And while I love me a giant plate of nachos (no seriously - who can hook a girl up??), I also know how necessary it is to counteract all those holiday calories with some lighter fare. I've been a fan of smoothies for a while now, and I've recently settled on what I believe to be a pretty stellar combination. The spinach adds a whole lot of green-goodness, the blueberries give you those much-needed antioxidants, and a gajillion people have told me to start incorporating chia seeds into my daily life. This is a quick and easy smoothie that gives you a giant glass of healthy deliciousness.
Some pro tips:
* Use an immersion blender for quick mixing and easy clean up - I use a Cuisinart Smart Stick and love it!
* Buy pre-cut frozen fruit - this will not only reduce your prep time, but will also give your smoothie a cold kick. No need for extra ice cube, which just water down the drink, because the frozen fruit are the ice cubes! My favorite come from Trader Joe's - in the smoothie above, the blueberries, mango, and pineapple bits are all from TJ's.
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 banana, sliced
- 8-10 frozen mango chunks
- 1 small handful frozen pineapple bits
- 1 small handful frozen blueberries
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, diced
- 1 tsp. chia seeds
- 1 cup orange juice
Optional add-ins: 1tbsp. of shredded coconut, 1 tsp. honey, 1 oz. apple cider vinegar
- Layer all ingredients in the cup of your immersion blender and blend well. Pour into a glass and enjoy!